Thursday, October 23, 2014

Test Drive: Scion FR-S

By Jonathan Mellberg
photos by the author 

Not that I’m complaining, but this relationship doesn’t make any sense; two rather conservative, Japanese auto manufacturers, rivals, or at least competitors, joining forces to create (of all things) twin babes whose focus group is, at best, the niche market of young men (for the most part) who want a great-handling, naturally-aspirated, drift-happy rear-wheel drive coupe only suitable for driving outside of the winter months.  I’m referring of course to the Scion FR-S and its fraternal twin, the Subaru BR-Z. These doppelgangers are the love children of the Toyota-Subaru partnership; and their combined efforts have produced stunning results, not the least of which is the fact that neither Subaru nor Toyota are especially exciting automotive groups. Yes, Subaru has the WRX and its alter ego the STi, but Subies are best known for modern day hippy haulers; you’re far more likely to spot one of Subaru’s more popular cars (Outback, Forester, Impreza) at a local farmers market or Jack Johnson concert than at Monster Truck Madness or a Republican convention. As for Toyota, aside from the stratospherically sporty Lexus LFA, Toyota hasn’t produced a drool-worthy driver’s car in over a decade (Lexus RC-F notwithstanding. I didn’t count it because it’s A: a Lexus, and B: it’s not even technically on the market yet).


Scion FR-S

The reason doesn’t really matter; I need to stop whining and start smelling the roses while I still can. While I would’ve picked the Subaru BRZ for my first choice, the Scion FR-S is essentially the same, save for minor badge-engineering and a few style differences. And since I used to own a first-generation Scion tC, why not revisit the brand and see how far they’ve come?

Parent Toyota now has two children. Its first, Lexus, is the oldest, having been around (in the US) since 1989. It’s the snobby child, and strictly panders to financially-enhanced individuals. Scion popped onto the scene in 2003 as Toyota’s hip, fresh, youth-focused brand. Scions pan to the thrifty and/or monetarily challenged folks, like myself (or I suppose we could just call them Millennials). My 2005 Scion tC was a great little coupe (and the brand’s third offering). Standard features included auto up/down windows, power moonroof, a secondary rear sunroof, cruise control, CD/MP3 player, Pioneer audio, and a 2.4Litre inline-four good for roughly 160 horsepower. My spunky five-speed model was white, shod with Bridgestone Potenza rubber over 17” alloy wheels. It was a real looker, and all this for well under $17K.

Scion has evolved and grown, but incrementally. They now offer five models, two of which start well below $17K. My tC saw a major refresh a few years ago and is now bigger, badder, and more powerful. Oh, it’s more expensive as well; a new tC begins just under $20K. Scion’s most expensive model by far is the FR-S at around $25K. Standard features aren’t radically different (or better) from my ’05 tC, but the FR-S does have a tilt/telescope, leather-wrapped steering wheel, Bluetooth functionality, power-folding side mirrors, and dual exhaust. Yawning yet? Me too. After perusing Scion’s website I did come across a fun little factoid: free scheduled maintenance for the first 2yr/25,000 miles! I forgot Toyota was doing this!


Carlson Toyota/Scion (Coon Rapids, MN)

And so, I recently took a Friday off of work; and what a great day for it! Beautiful weather; it was the perfect day to mosey on over to my local Toyota dealer: Carlson Toyota of Coon Rapids, MN. One of their newer, hulking dealers, this Toyota/Scion lot had but only two FR-S models in total, and one was on the show floor! Steve, my salesman, informed me that they really don’t sell too many of these. Thanks for the tip; a rear-wheel drive coupe with back seats that even a car seat won’t squeeze into selling poorly in Minnesota. What tipped you off, Steve?




Disclaimer: Fifteen minutes is not enough time with a car, especially when your salesman is cramping your style in the passenger seat. While I didn’t lie about my intentions in driving the car, I could tell our test drive route was predetermined and over all too soon. I gotta find me a better way to get into these cars, stay in them longer, and wring them out a little more without getting raised eyebrows from my tag-alongs… And to that end, I’d invite any helpful suggestions. End disclaimer…



First impressions: As my salesman rolled the bright Red Scion FR-S off the outdoor concrete pad, I paid close attention when the car started to life. Nothing exciting, just a quiet burble (I wasn’t expecting much). He hopped out to switch places with me. I plumped down into the driver’s seat and one thing was immediately apparent; I need to lose some weight. I haven’t had a hug this tight since before my wife was pregnant. The seats are definitely sporty. You sit low in the cockpit; seat controls are manual only. While comfy, the side bolsters really pin you in; no telling how this would work out in the long run without an extended drive to test one’s comfort. For now it was just fine. The six-speed manual clicked into gear quite neatly, no rubbery feeling about it. Pedal placement was laid out fine and clutch take-up is easy and predictable. The FR-S may pack in 200hp, but damned if you can find it right away. Dig into the revs a bit more and the Scion starts waking up along with the exhaust note, but somehow I feel I’m being harsh with the powertrain even though I surely am not. My first sprint up the on-ramp was… uneventful. 200hp and 151lb-ft of torque equals a level of engagement just below my endorphin-creating threshold. Bummer. I think I know the problem. I’m a torque guy; that must be it. Like so many sporty little cars today, much of their power isn’t available until you climb way up into the revs. But I like my power now, immediately. It’s probably why I enjoyed driving the electric Tesla Model S so very much.





deeply bolstered seats; very sporty

The little Scion’s ride is firm, tight, and low. The FR-S reads the road and transmits all info; this is all fine and dandy on well paved roads. For less than impervious surfaces, prepare to let this Scion chatter your teeth for you. This isn’t a complaint, just an observation. Bends and curves mean nothing to the FR-S, it can take the best of them with little perceived body roll; and thanks to those heavily bolstered seats, there’s no swaying inside either. I love the thick, leather-wrapped steering wheel; it feels great in my hands and somehow instills confidence. I love when that happens. Aside from a brief freeway stink lasting only a few miles, I never really had a chance to push the FR-S into unlawful territory. What a shame. I should think I’d very much like this car out on some little-known back road, where the curves and elevation changes are plentiful, and the damn deer stay off the roads.

What I love about this car is its purpose in life. It was conceived and bred as a sporty little car: Rear-wheel drive, smooth-shifting six-speed transmission, four-cylinder boxer engine, and an attainable price to top it all off. I’ve been reading raves reviews from every auto writer since the FR-S and the BRZ first hit the streets a couple years ago, but without more quality time behind the wheel with freedom to explore its fullest potential, I unfortunately remain unsold as to how great this car truly is. There’s always next summer…




-Thanks for reading The Wheelspin Journal-

photo by the author

No comments:

Post a Comment